Valentine’s Day Can Be Toxic for Pets

St Valentine’s Day is an annual festival to celebrate romantic love, friendship, and admiration for people and pets alike. It is traditionally a time to give flowers, especially roses.

But if you want to celebrate with your pet, it would be more appropriate if they were given some healthy treats, a new toy, or even a special outing and time spent together to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

Just a reminder that cats and dogs seem to love chocolate. They can sniff it out from miles away (a slight exaggeration) and are known to beg for chocolate, or they will help themselves to any they find lying around within reach. But chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats. It contains a chemical called theobromine as well as caffeine – both of which can cause significant illness and sometimes even death. So, special pet treats only, and make sure you put the human treats that you receive up and out of their reach.

Be aware of yummy buns or cakes that contain a sugar substitute called Xylitol. This substance induces vomiting and a sudden lowering of an animal’s blood sugar level and can lead to death.

The rule with pets is that most human food is for humans only, and pets have a special range of dog or cat food that they will not only love the taste, but you can relax knowing it is safe for your beloved companion. So, keep pets safe and have a very Happy Valentine’s Day!

If you fear your pet may have ingested something toxic or is generally feeling unwell, contact our team immediately.